The role of the Finance Committee is to promote fiscal responsibility
and accessibility: ATHE is committed to remaining financially
accessible to the widest possible group of people, while continuing to
balance its budget and make prudent decisions. The work of the finance
Committee is focused on the following goals:
- Maintain fiscal stability
- Inrease accessibility to the organization
- Administer the reserve fundcom
- Increase development activity
- Engage in future planning
The Finance Committee acts in an advisory capacity to the creation of
ATHE’s annual budget and the audit process. The Governing Council approves the budget and accepts the audit report.
Finance Committee Members
Chair | Scott Shattuck, Stephen F. Austin State University
Heather Barfield, Austin Community College
Christin Essin, Vanderbilt University
R. Michael Gros, Santa Barbara City College
Nina LeNoir, Chapman University
Lewis Magruder, Miami University
René Pulliam, University of Mississippi
Trish Ralph, SUNY Brockport
Alicia Tafoya, Our Lady of the Lake University
Lionel Walsh, University of Windsor
Frank Trezza, SUNY New Paltz
John Weinstein, Bard College at Simon's Rock
The organization's budget is approved annually each winter or spring for the following fiscal year, which begins June 1 of each year and ends May 31 of the following year.
Each fiscal year, the organization's finances are audited by an independent accounting firm using accounting standards generally accepted in the United States.
According to the association's contracted accounting firm, Desmond & Ahern, Ltd.:
- "An audit involves performing procedures to obtain audit evidence about the amounts and disclosures in the financial statements," which are prepared by the organization.
- "An audit also includes evaluating the appropriateness of accounting policies used and the reasonableness of significant accounting estimates made by management, as well as evaluating the overall presentation of the financial statements."
Desmond & Ahern reports, "the audit evidence is sufficient and appropriate to provide a basis" for their audit opinion.
The audit was conducted according to the rules of the State of Illinois for the Fiscal Year 2015 - 2016. You can
request a copy of the 990 form. The full audit report is available at the ATHE office.