Return to Awards Home
The highest honors bestowed by ATHE are two Career Achievement Awards: the Ellen Stewart Award for Career Achievement in Professional Theatre and the Career Achievement Award in Academic Theatre. They each indicate a career of distinguished service to the field. Frequently, recipients have distinguished careers which overlap both areas.
View a list of past awardees here
The following is a list of six prioritized criteria to be applied to potential candidates for both awards:
- Acclamation: Awardees must be recognized and known for superlative contributions to the field.
- Test of Time: Achievement must be the product of an entire career of contributions as opposed to a short time span, no matter how significant the contribution.
- Service: Awards must be given for significant, selfless service. Awardees must be authentic role models to peers and students.
- Innovation: Awardees must be original thinkers and/or creators whose work has established new frames of reference.
- Mentoring: Awardees must be instrumental in nurturing the careers of others.
- Advocacy: Awardees must be effective advocates for the field.
In addition to these major criteria, common to both awards, candidates should be known for supporting multiculturalism and diversity in theatre and/or education. In the case of the award for career achievement in Theatre in Higher Education, recognized scholarly and/or creative contributions, work with professional organizations, and service to students should be considered.
Nominators must provide letters from supporters who also address the above criteria. The support letters must be sent to the nominator. If a nominator receives more than ten letters of support, only the strongest ten should be sent, in their entirety, along with the nominator's letter. The awardee will receive free travel, hotel stay and conference registration.
For questions or concerns, contact Ann Folino White, Vice President for Awards, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is February 15, 2018 (DEADLINE EXTENDED).