The ATHE Awards Committee is responsible for coordinating nine prestigious awards that recognize excellence in educational and professional theatre.
Click the links to learn more about each award category and to nominate an individual for any of these awards.
Nominations in each area are reviewed and voted upon by subcommittees composed of a small group of ATHE members.The two career achievement awards are reviewed and voted upon by the chairs of the subcommittees and one representative from the focus groups. The awards are presented in a ceremony at the annual national conference each year.
Naming ATHE Awards:
- All members of ATHE, including members of the awards committee, are eligible to nominate a person whose name will become part of the title of a standing award.
- All nominations must be presented in writing to the awards committee.
- The nominees do not have to have been members of ATHE at any time. The nominees
must have made substantial achievements in the award category for which they are nominated.
- The expectation is that nominees will have major, sustained, and indelible achievements in their field.
- The nominator must provide a letter of nomination, two additional letters of support,
and a brief biography of the person whose name is being nominated.
- After deliberation, if the awards committee accepts the nomination for naming an
award, it will send its recommendation to the operations committee of ATHE for approval or disapproval.
- If the operations committee approves the recommendation, approval must be gained from the estate of the named person before implementation of the award.
- When an award becomes named and is announced, ATHE will ask members to donate
to the award.