Welcome from Chase Bringardner, Vice President for Conference 2013
What's New at the 2013 Conference, Additional Highlights, and Special Offerings
- PLAYdates, PLAYnaries, PLAYstations
- Bill Irwin, Keynote
- Paid Workshops: Bill Irwin, Migdalia Cruz, Tectonic Theatre, PearlDamour, Deb Margolin
- Disney Theme Park Tickets: Disney World special discounted ticket prices will increase on June 30th, so be sure to reserve your tickets NOW! Go to the website listed below for access to exclusive After 2 p.m. and After 4 p.m. Disney tickets, as well as a 10% savings on all multi-day tickets. All Multi-day tickets (2+ days) include a complimentary Bonus Visit* (see below for options). These tickets are NOT available at the Disney park ticket windows, but are available via this complimentary Disney Ticket Website for all ATHE Conference attendees and their guests: www.mydisneymeetings.com/athe13/. *If you select to purchase multi-day (2-days or longer) tickets, in addition to the 10% discount, these full-multi-day (2 days or longer) tickets also include a complimentary bonus visit to any one of the following giving you an additional Disney Experience at no additional charge!
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park
- DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive Theme Park
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex with 30 minutes of game play at the PlayStation® Pavilion
- Disney’s Winter Summerland or Disney’s Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf Courses (before 4 p.m.)
- A round of golf at Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course
- PLAYnary #1 - Teatro en la Florída: Diaspora, History, and Performance
- PLAYnary #2 - The Pedagogy "Long Table”
- PLAYnary #3 - Paying and Playing: Tourism, Performance, and Economies of Pleasure
Conference Playwriting and Performances
- Free Film Screening - Showing Up
- PearlDamour’s Milton (a work in progress)
- The Mickee Faust Club’s Faust’s Free For All
- Discussion and Workshop Reading: Deborah Margolin’s Imagining Madoff
- Staged Reading of Jane Chambers Playwriting Competition Winner
- Playworks 2013 – Interactive Performance, Story, and the Power of Play
- Womb and Tomb’s Ward of Cures and Correctives for All that Ails the Unreliable Uterus
- Lope’s (small) New World: Rediscovering Florida in Spain’s First New World Play
- Staged Reading of the David Mark Cohen Playwriting Competition Winner
- Being Mark Twain, Miss Lillian’s Supper, Diary of a Fading Rose and Preserving the Classics
- New Play Development Workshop Showcase of Plays
2013 ATHE Leadership Institute® Pre-Conference Workshop
Focus Group Pre-Conference and Debut Panel Information
The following focus groups will have pre-conferences: Association for Asian Performance; Directing Program and Acting Program; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Focus Group; Performance Studies Focus Group; Playwrights and Creative Teams; Theatre as a Liberal Art Focus Group; Theory and Criticism Focus Group; and, Women and Theatre Program.
The following focus groups will have debut panels: Acting; American Theatre and Drama Society,Black Theatre Association, and Latina/o Focus Group; Directing Program; Dramaturgy Program; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Focus Group and Women in Theatre Program; Religion and Theatre Focus Group; Theatre and Social Change Focus Group; Theatre as a Liberal Art Focus Group; and Theatre History Focus Group
The debut panels listed below were inadvertently left out of the conference marketing brochure:
- Performance Studies Focus Group Emerging Scholars Panel - Thursday, August 1, 1:30 p.m - 3 p.m.
- The Bruce Kirle Memorial Emerging Scholars’ Panel in Music Theatre/Dance - Friday, August 2, 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
The 2013 ATHE Conference Committee will select adventurous members to participate in a series of facilitated excursions to local destinations in our host city of Orlando. Adventurers will leave the safety (and air-conditioning) of the conference hotel to visit five selected sites along with a facilitator and two tour guides/discussion leaders. Excursion groups will participate in three stages of activity:
- Stage 1, Study: Individuals will examine pre-excursion reading materials selected by the discussion leaders, two respected scholars whose research brings insight to the excursion site.
- Stage 2, Play: Individuals will travel to and experience the excursion site.
- Stage 3, Discuss: Individuals will reconvene at the hotel during a conference session to critique the site and analyze their experience in a roundtable discussion.
- PearlDamour - Getting Out of the Way: A Performance Workshop
- Tectonic Theatre - An Introduction to Moment Work with Tectonic Theatre Project
- Bill Irwin - An Introduction to Physical Comedy and Character Development
- Migdalia Cruz - Finding a Method to Your Own Madness
- Deb Margolin - Seeking the Source: Creative Writing for Performance or for Any Reason at All!
Exhibitors and Advertisers
- ArtAge Senior Theatre Resource Center
- Auburn University (advertiser)
- Ball State University
- Cambridge University Press (advertiser)
- Case Western Reserve University (exhibitor & advertiser)
- Duke University Press (advertiser)
- Ecumenica Journal
- Fireweed, Inc./Showing Up (advertiser)
- Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Co.
- Intercollegiate Theatre Festival
- Johns Hopkins University Press
- M. A. in Applied Theatre (exhibitor & advertiser)
- Methuen Drama
- Mid America Theatre Conference (advertiser)
- Naropa University (advertiser)
- New York University
- Northwestern University Press
- Palgrave MacMillan
- Pennsylvania State University (advertiser)
- Routledge/Taylor and Francis Group
- Select Travel Study
- Shakespeare at Notre Dame
- Southern Illinois University Press (advertiser)
- Tectonic Theater Project
- Theatre Communications Group
- The Scholar’s Choice
- University of Michigan Press (exhibitor & advertiser)
- Washington in St. Louis, Performing Arts Department (advertiser)