Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Join
2015 Conference Sessions
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Looking for Session Contributors: (Re)Imagining the Polis 0 W. Lewis, University of Colorado Boulder Hello TASC Focus Group, I am working on a new paper that could potentially be a good fit as part of a panel with the focus group.  The paper is tentatively titled "(Re)Imagining the Polis: Explorations of Community Engagement in Post-Dramatic Theatre.” I am unraveling an idea concerning how modern participant/contributors (audiences) can develop dialogue within and as a narrative structure with the goal of social change, comparing this modern model to the ancient Greek polis’ engagement with theatre. The paper will develop an idea of how maintaining narrative while diminishing the power of mimesis can have potential power in community engagement. I am using case studies from contemporary theatre companies including Rimini Protokoll, The Civillians and The Foundry Theatre. In each of the case studies the audience participates in creating the narrative. This paper would be great for the theme of this years conference.  It conjures a memory of efficacy from a past theatre construct and re-imagines how a participatory audience can reconfigure and emulate that ideal polis.If there are any others out there that would like to join up for a session proposal or have a panel idea that this would fit please let me know.  WIlliam W. LewisPh.D. StudentDepartment of Theatre and DanceThe University of Colorado Boulderwilliam.lewis-2@colorado.edu
by W. Lewis, University of Colorado Boulder
Thursday, October 23, 2014
ATHE 2015 CFP: Feminist Pedagogies 0 J. Del Vecchio Fantasy Feminisms: Remembering and Reimagining Feminist PedagogiesIn response to ATHE 2015’s conference theme, Je me souviens (“I remember”), this roundtable seeks to foster a community that reflects on their experiences of teaching theatre and performance with feminist intentions. We invite participants to remember a course or particular moment in a course---an assignment, a lesson plan, a discussion of a text or performance, for instance---that stands out as a success or a failure of feminist pedagogy. What did you do, what were your intentions, and what would you do differently in retrospect? We encourage participants to collect digital “souvenirs” to share---assignment sheets or (with students’ permission) examples of student writing, videos, images of projects, etc.---to enrich our conversation and to create an archive of feminist teaching practices. We seek participants eager to discuss such questions as:How do pedagogies that explicitly engage race, sexual and gender identity, ethnicity, and class, for example, intersect with feminisms in the classroom? How do feminist pedagogies work in practice-based classrooms? (This could address acting, directing, or design classes.) In what ways can digital connectivity be harnessed for sustained engagement and meaningful student learning in the classroom? This session builds on the ATHE 2014 Women and Theatre roundtable “Fantasy Feminisms: Dreaming of the Perfect Syllabus” in which five participants shared syllabi and assignment strategies on the blog fantasyfeminisms.wordpress.com. This year, we will ask participants to post a 200-400 word reflection on the blog one month prior to the conference. At the conference, participants will share their memories and souvenirs with each other and the audience. The remainder of the session will be dedicated to a roundtable discussion of feminist classroom practices, allowing ample time for audience observations and contributions.If interested, please submit an abstract that includes the title of your course and a 1-3 sentence description of the memory you would like to present to catherineyoung100@gmail.com and jdel_vecchio@gc.cuny.edu by Monday, October 27th.
by J. Del Vecchio
Monday, October 13, 2014
2015 Call for "Games That We Play" 0 K. Johnson  This is a call for workshop presentation submissions for the ATHE 2015 conference in Montreal, Canada. Games That We Play is a  workshop-style game exploration and discussion sponsored by the Theatre and Social Change Focus (TASC) Group. Please send a 250 word maximum description of a game or exercise you'd like to lead that includes a brief discussion of the ideological/theoretical underpinnings and practical uses of the exercises in your work. Three (3) workshop presenters will be chosen by Theresa Dudeck, Jessie Glover, and Kellyn Johnson (session coordinators). Criteria:Exercise can be easily taught and explained  to ATHE participants within 20 minutes.Exercise has a clear connection to conference theme: “Je me souviens / I remember”Presenters will be expected to bring one-page handouts for workshop participants detailing the game or exercise and its expected outcomes. Please contact Theresa Dudeck (dudeck@chapman.edu), Jessie Glover (jglover@otterbein.edu) and Kellyn Johnson (kellynj77@gmail.com) with your submissions no later than 5 pm PST on 20 October 2014.
by K. Johnson
Tuesday, September 23, 2014

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266