Graduate Students - Participate in ATHE 2014
The Graduate Student Subcommittee of the ATHE Professional Development Committee recently e-mailed all graduate student members about a few things regarding communication and affordability of next year’s conference:
- We’re bringing back the grad student listserv. If you’re not already on it, you can join by sending a blank e-mail to email@example.com. This list will be used to communicate important info for grad students regarding ATHE conferences, and can be used by you to ask questions of other grad students, send out calls for papers/panels, etc. We highly encourage you to join if you’re not already a member.
- We have a facebook group! This is a great way to check in with other grad students involved in ATHE, post calls for papers, ask questions, and (as next year’s conference approaches) find roommates. The group name is ATHE Graduate Students (GSSC). Search and join.
- As many of you know, the deadline to propose panels for next year’s ATHE is November 1, and we (along with the ATHE conference planners & Professional Development committee) wanted to touch base about affordability for next year’s conference:
- Phoenix's airport is a hub, and flights to Phoenix in the summer are especially affordable.
- The conference rate at the hotel is very reasonable, especially with roommates. Sharing your room can bring the cost down to about $50/night/person. Use the facebook group to find roommates if you don’t have friends already going to the conference.
- The conference planners are also working on affordable food options at or near the hotel to help keep costs down.
- Other options: sign up for a student fellowship. You can work at the registration desk in exchange for a partial refund of your conference registration fee. (You can make a fellowship request during the conference registration process.)
- Submit to debut panels: many of these come with a small award check, which can help lower your conference costs.
ATHE has some tips for submitting a successful panel proposal.
See you in Phoenix in Summer 2014!