P[L]AY: Performance, Pleasure and Pedagogy
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
August 1 - 4, 2013
Online registration is now closed. You will be able to register onsite in Orlando.
The ATHE 2013 Conference Program Book is here.
Click the links below for the .pdf version or click this link for the fully integrated online version.
Full Program Book (.pdf, 3 MB)
Cover and Table of Contents
Welcome from ATHE President Bill Doan, ATHE Vice President for Conference 2013 Chase Bringardner plus the 2012-2013 Governing Council, the 2012-2013 Focus Group Representatives and Conference Planners, and the Conference Committee 2013
The 2013 ATHE Leadership Institute © Pre-Conference Workshop
Information for First-Time Attendees and Conference Registration Desk Hours
ATHE 2014 Dates, Location, Theme, and Committee
- July 24-27, 2014
- Scottsdale, AZ at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Hotel
- Dream Acts: Performance as Refuge, Resistance, and Renewal
ATHE's Annual Awards Ceremony · Thursday, August 1, 2013 · 5 - 6 p.m.
Award winners include:
- David Henry Hwang - Ellen Stewart Career Achievement Award for Professional Theatre
- Robert Schanke - ATHE Career Achievement Award for Academic Theatre
- Joseph Roach - Oscar Brockett Outstanding Teacher of Theatre in Higher Education
- Sara Warner - ATHE Outstanding Book Award for Acts of Gaiety: LGBT Performance and the Politics of Pleasure
- A special honorable mention for the ATHE Outstanding Book Award goes to Nancy Kindelan for Artistic Literacy: Theatre Studies and a Contemporary Liberal Education. Honorable mentions for the ATHE Outstanding Book Award go to Stephanie Leigh Batiste for Darkening Mirrors: Imperial Representation in Depression-era African American Performance and Laurie Frederik for Trumpets in the Mountains: Theater and the Politics of National Culture in Cuba.
- Kim Marra - ATHE Outstanding Article Award for "Riding, Scarring, Knowing: A Queerly Embodied Performance Historiography,” published in Theatre Journal, Volume 64 (2012), pp. 489-511
- Linda Frye Burnham and Steve Durland - ATHE Award for Leadership in Community-Based Theatre and Civic Engagement
- Laura Jacqmin - David Mark Cohen Playwriting Award for And When We Awoke There Was Light and Light
- Claire Chafee - Jane Chambers Playwriting Award for FULL/SELF
- Maria Delgado - ATHE Award for Excellence in Editing
Keynote Presentation · Bill Irwin - Life in the Theatre · Thursday, August 1, 2013 · 6 - 7 p.m.
The All-Conference Opening Reception in the Exhibit Hall follows the Keynote Presentation from 7:15 - 9 p.m.
PLAYnaries · Friday, August 2, 2013 · 10:15 - 11:45 a.m.
- PLAYnary #1: Teatro en la Florída: Diaspora, History, and Performance
- PLAYnary #2: The Pedagogy "Long Table”
- PLAYnary #3: Paying and Playing: Tourism, Performance, and Economies of Pleasure
ATHE Annual Membership Meeting: All-Conference Forum · Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 10:15 - 11:45 a.m.
- Adventures in Fantastical Identity · Discussion: Friday, August 2, 2013 · 5:45 - 7:15 p.m.
- Adventures in Modern Globetrotting · Discussion: Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 8:30 - 10 a.m.
- Adventures in Post-Colonial Fantasy Worlds · Discussion: Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 4 - 5:30 p.m.
- Adventures in the American West · Discussion: Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 8:30 - 10 a.m.
- Adventures in Brandscaping · Discussion: Friday, August 2, 2013 · 2:15 - 3:45 p.m.
- Free Film Screening: Showing Up · Thursday, August 1, 2013 · 9:30 - 11:15 p.m.
- Pearl Damour's Milton (a work in progress) · Friday, August 2, 2013 · 10 - 11 p.m. (Free)
- The Mickee Faust Club's Faust's Free for All · Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 10 - 11 p.m. ($10)
- PearlDamour · Getting Out of the Way: A Performance Workshop · Thursday, August 1, 2013 · 1:30 - 4:45 p.m.
- Tectonic Theater · An Introduction to Moment Work with Tectonic Theater Project · Friday, August 2, 2013 · 12:30 - 3:45 p.m.
- Bill Irwin · An Introduction to Physical Comedy and Character Development · Friday, August 2, 2013 · 2:15 - 5:30 p.m.
- Migdalia Cruz · Finding a Method to Your Own Madness · Saturday, August 3, 2013 · 2:15 - 5:30 p.m.
- Deb Margolin · Seeking the Source: Creative Writing for Performance or for Any Reason at All · Saturday August 3, 2013 · 2:15 - 5:30 p.m.
Focus Group Debut Panels
Exhibit Hall Information - Exhibitors and Advertisers
Sessions at the 2013 Conference
Exhibit to over 800 conference attendees or advertise in the conference program book. View the exhibitor / advertiser prospectus here.