Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Join
Looking for Session Contributors: (Re)Imagining the Polis
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/23/2014 at 7:23:32 PM GMT
Looking for Session Contributors: (Re)Imagining the Polis
Hello TASC Focus Group,

I am working on a new paper that could potentially be a good fit as part of a panel with the focus group.  

The paper is tentatively titled "(Re)Imagining the Polis: Explorations of Community Engagement in Post-Dramatic Theatre.” 

I am unraveling an idea concerning how modern participant/contributors (audiences) can develop dialogue within and as a narrative structure with the goal of social change, comparing this modern model to the ancient Greek polis’ engagement with theatre. The paper will develop an idea of how maintaining narrative while diminishing the power of mimesis can have potential power in community engagement. I am using case studies from contemporary theatre companies including Rimini Protokoll, The Civillians and The Foundry Theatre. In each of the case studies the audience participates in creating the narrative. This paper would be great for the theme of this years conference.  It conjures a memory of efficacy from a past theatre construct and re-imagines how a participatory audience can reconfigure and emulate that ideal polis.

If there are any others out there that would like to join up for a session proposal or have a panel idea that this would fit please let me know. 

WIlliam W. Lewis
Ph.D. Student

Department of Theatre and Dance
The University of Colorado Boulder
william.lewis-2@colorado.edu

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266