Directors + Fight Directors
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/21/2016 at 4:29:48 PM GMT
Directors + Fight Directors
PANEL 1: Collaboration, Roles and Responsibilities in Staged Violence 

This panel will include three Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD) Certified Teachers (Jonathan, Chris and Ted, below) and three directors. The focus of the panel is working in collaboration on stage violence in plays, and is focused on individual duties and expectations of each of the primary roles in collaboration: the director, the choreographer, and the actor. Potential areas of discussion include: where is the line between directing and choreography? How do we define our roles? How can director and fight choreographer best work together? Is actor-based choreography superior to pre-choreographed work? How, in an already cramped rehearsal schedule, do we make time to effectively work stage violence?

Moderator: Jonathan Cole, Willamette University
Current panelists: Christopher DuVal, University of Utah; Ted deChatelet, Western Oregon University

If you are interested, please send me a brief email at jcole@willamette.edu with a working title and 2-3 sentence description of a topic you’d like to contribute to the panel, along with any anticipated AV needs and your academic title and affiliation. I’ll get back to all who submit by Friday, October 28.

PANEL 2: On the Presentation of the Real in Stage Violence

We live in an era of unprecedented advancement in complexity and execution of choreographed violence on film and television (e.g. DaredevilMax Max: Fury RoadCaptain America: Civil War, et al). As a result, audiences have become more savvy about staged violence in the theatre. Plays are also being written with increasingly complex and/or demanding, cinema-inspired violence (see McDonagh’s work, for one). In this climate, how do choreographers of violence balance the needs of the playwright and director with the needs and abilities of the actor, and the demands of production (schedule, budget, repeatability, etc.)?

Moderator: Jonathan Cole, Willamette University
Current panelists: Christopher DuVal, University of Utah; Michael Mueller, Fullerton College; Ted deChatelet, Western Oregon University

If you are interested, please send me a brief email at jcole@willamette.edu with a working title and 2-3 sentence description of a topic you’d like to contribute to the panel, along with any anticipated AV needs and your academic title and affiliation. I’ll get back to all who submit by Friday, October 28.

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266