Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Join
Ideas for ATHE 2017 Panels - Las Vegas
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Directors + Fight Directors 0 E. Rollie, Central Washington University PANEL 1: Collaboration, Roles and Responsibilities in Staged Violence  This panel will include three Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD) Certified Teachers (Jonathan, Chris and Ted, below) and three directors. The focus of the panel is working in collaboration on stage violence in plays, and is focused on individual duties and expectations of each of the primary roles in collaboration: the director, the choreographer, and the actor. Potential areas of discussion include: where is the line between directing and choreography? How do we define our roles? How can director and fight choreographer best work together? Is actor-based choreography superior to pre-choreographed work? How, in an already cramped rehearsal schedule, do we make time to effectively work stage violence? Moderator: Jonathan Cole, Willamette University Current panelists: Christopher DuVal, University of Utah; Ted deChatelet, Western Oregon University If you are interested, please send me a brief email at jcole@willamette.edu with a working title and 2-3 sentence description of a topic you’d like to contribute to the panel, along with any anticipated AV needs and your academic title and affiliation. I’ll get back to all who submit by Friday, October 28.   PANEL 2: On the Presentation of the Real in Stage Violence We live in an era of unprecedented advancement in complexity and execution of choreographed violence on film and television (e.g. Daredevil, Max Max: Fury Road, Captain America: Civil War, et al). As a result, audiences have become more savvy about staged violence in the theatre. Plays are also being written with increasingly complex and/or demanding, cinema-inspired violence (see McDonagh’s work, for one). In this climate, how do choreographers of violence balance the needs of the playwright and director with the needs and abilities of the actor, and the demands of production (schedule, budget, repeatability, etc.)? Moderator: Jonathan Cole, Willamette University Current panelists: Christopher DuVal, University of Utah; Michael Mueller, Fullerton College; Ted deChatelet, Western Oregon University If you are interested, please send me a brief email at jcole@willamette.edu with a working title and 2-3 sentence description of a topic you’d like to contribute to the panel, along with any anticipated AV needs and your academic title and affiliation. I’ll get back to all who submit by Friday, October 28.
by E. Rollie, Central Washington University
Friday, October 21, 2016
Books for Teaching Directing 0 M. Yawney, Florida International University The topic of what books to use when teaching directing seems to come up again and again. I would like to bring together a roundtable where panelists can share their experience using a favorite book of theirs. These books can be texts, memoirs, or any other sort of book you have used. The idea would be to share what you think makes the book valuable and any experiences you have had using it in the classroom. If interested, email me, telling me what book you are interested in sharing and why you find it useful. Michael Yawney Associate Professor Department of Theatre Florida International University myawney@fiu.edu  
by M. Yawney, Florida International University
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Panel on Navigating the Technological Gap 0 E. Rollie, Central Washington University "There's a Proscenium in Your Pocket": Navigating the Technological gap between 21st century students and teachers.  I would love to host a discussion about how and whether to incorporate new technological storytelling knowledge our incoming students who have grown up making movies on smart phones, snapchat, etc. and the older generation (literally anyone over 30) who did not grow up with this inherent ability.  Is there a generation gap?  Are we using the knowledge that they come in with to their best advantage as storytellers?  In all of theatre history (save for a few child actors in Hollywood), the entry point to performance has always been live performance because the technology was so rare. But, now, since the first iPhone was released in 2007, most young people have been filmed hundreds of times before they ever step foot on a stage or in front of an audience. How does this affect our teaching of our disciplines? Should it? Is there a difference between stage and camera acting as most universities divide it? Or, is it as Stansilavski suggested merely just different "Circles of Inclusion?"  For the older generation, even looking at yourself on camera is often difficult. "Watching your dailies" was something only the hardened film acting veteran could do ego-free. But, today, we are a selfie-loving society. How does this self-awareness in performance affect technique? What difficulties have teachers encountered and is there anything to be gained by listening to our millennial colleagues? Contact Amy Chaffee, amychaffee@yahoo.com
Panel on Body as Spectacle 0 E. Rollie, Central Washington University I am interested in putting a panel together (or joining someone else’s panel) focused on the Body as Spectacle. In this year of heated debate over consent and what is or is not appropriate for public consumption, how does the central figure of a young body on stage in various states of vulnerability constitute responsible and ethical directing? What are the physical and phenomenological ramifications of a body as a central spectacle on stage? How do various methods for theatrical bodily modifications affect an actor and the audience watching her? These are just a few of the questions that could be discussed.  If you're interested in joining such a panel, please email me (Joelle Ré Arp-Dunham, joelle.arpdunham25@uga.edu) a brief description of what you’d like to share/discuss and a little about your theatrical interests.    
Telematic Performance 0 E. Rollie, Central Washington University Hi All- Is there anyone out there who has directed a telematic performance who would like to present a session with me? These are performances where two or more performance sites are linked by live feed. It is a pretty amazing way to link audiences and actors over geographic distances in a unique style of performance. There have only been about a dozen or so performances like this that I know of. We collaborated with the New Media Program at the University of Maine on a 21stcentury reimagining of Camus’ L'Étranger. If anyone has worked on anything like this and would like to join up for a session at the conference, please contact me:djk@unh.edu Best- DK   David Kaye Chair, Department of Theatre and Dance University of New Hampshire djk@unh.edu 603-862-0667  
Call for Panelists - Student-centric methods for season planing 0 E. Rollie, Central Washington University  Dear Directors,   I am trying to put together a Roundtable/Panel to discuss student-centric methods for season planning. My goals is to curate a mixed group of people (directors, managers, and department chairs) from a range of institutions (large and small, conservatory and liberal arts), who can share their programs' strategies for building a production season around the needs, wishes, capacities, and educational goals of their students.     If you're interested in being on such a panel, please send me a quick note outlining what you'd like to share (the Cliff Notes version), along with a little basic info about your program. I’d love to include some of you on the panel!     Thanks everyone! I'm excited to see you all again in Vegas.     Best,   Laura     --------------------   Laura J. Eckelman, MFA   Assistant Professor | Production Manager | Resident Designer   Department of Theatre & Dance | Washington College  
Monday, October 17, 2016

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266