Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Join
Syllabus Bank
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Instructions for posting your syllabus 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University ​Here are easy step-by-step instructions for posting your syllabus to our syllabus bank: From the main page for the forum (click on the "Back" button on your browser, or on the words "Syllabus Bank" above to get there), select the link for "New Topic" that appears toward the top right of the screen. Put the title for your course in the "Subject" field, and add some explanatory information (date the course was offered, overview of course contents, reflections on your experience with the course, advice for others teaching a similar subject area, etc.) in the large text box. Upload the syllabus as a separate file (MS Word or PDF recommended) using the "Drop photos here or click to upload" box located toward the bottom of the page. Click on the blue "Submit Post" button to complete the upload. If you have trouble, you can send your syllabus files to me at shandelj@arcadia.edu and I will upload them for you. Thanks for helping to build our Syllabus Bank!
by J. Shandell, Arcadia University
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
Welcome to the BTA Syllabus Bank 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University BTA is launching a Syllabus Bank for its members as a "Forum" on the BTA page of the ATHE website. Participants are encouraged to visit the form and upload your syllabi, along with any notes or reflections that might be useful to other BTA members who are developing courses in African American or African diasporic theater and performance. I encourage all members to both contribute to and extract wisdom from this forum regularly. Thank you!
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
African American Theatre & Culture 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University This is Dr. Melinda Wilson's syllabus from a course on African American Theatre & Culture, which she taught at Sacramento State in the Fall of 2014.
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
African American Theatre, 1958-present 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University This is Dr. Nicole Hodges Persley's syllabus for a course on African American Theatre, 1958-present, which she taught at the University of Kansas.
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
August Wilson graduate seminar 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University This is Dr. Paul Jackson's syllabus for a graduate seminar on the plays of August Wilson, which he taught at the University of Miami (Ohio).
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
African American Women Playwrights 0 J. Shandell, Arcadia University This is Dr. Paul Jackson's syllabus for a survey course on African American Women Playwrights he taught at the University of Miami (Ohio).
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
African American Theatre & Drama 0 T. Robson, Millikin University This is a cross listed class that serves both as a dramatic literature course for our theatre majors and as a United States Cultural Studies credit for non-majors. (All students at my university are required to take one such US Cultural Studies course.) I typically teach this course once every four semesters to a class almost entirely of theatre majors. Enrollment is usually somewhere around 25 students. (Usually I cap it at 20 and then sign in people up to 25 seats.) This syllabus is from Spring 2014, and I expect to teach the class again in Spring 2016. Because of the cross-listed nature of the course, I tend to focus on issues of intersection between black performance and black social movements and issues as much as possible, though the last time I taught it I did hear some comments from students wishing for a little bit less "black struggle" in the class, which I think is a very fair critique that I'll be looking to address when I teach it next. Please feel free to adapt, borrow, pilfer, purloin, or otherwise make use of this syllabus as it helps you. Tom
by T. Robson, Millikin University
Monday, July 6, 2015
Black Drama in USA I (1821–1950) 0 S. Breaux I have taught this class twice at City College. It is the first half of Black Drama in the USA, and the second half covers 1950 to the present. I approach the material in terms of the social and political context of the time each play or issue arose. As you might notice from the first readings assigned, I frame the class in terms of contemporary scholarship.  Our discussions nearly always turned to the contemporary issues and what has changed and what hasn't. We even question what it means to have a course in Black drama in the US with many students realizing the benefits, to be sure, but they also recognize what this course means for a history course in US theatre more generally. This is in terms of which playwrights and issues are taught in the latter and which are left out. I don't assign a textbook for the course except for the Hatch/Shine anthology. I supplement the readings with the various articles and book chapters you'll find on the syllabus.
by S. Breaux
Saturday, July 4, 2015

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266