Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Join
Religion and Theatre Call for Papers/Presentations
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Reminder for ATHE R&T Nov. 1 Deadline 0 A. Davis, University of Maryland, College Park Hello members of the Religion and Theatre Focus Group!This is a reminder that the November 1st deadline for ATHE panel submissions is fast approaching. I am attaching the call for panels and papers below. Remember that panel submissions are due on the 1st. If you have a paper but are having trouble organizing a panel by yourself, be sure to email me (andavis8@umd.edu) by October 28th.We are looking forward to seeing your exciting ideas that will drive forward future conversations in religion and theatre. Best regards,Allan DavisR&T Conference Planner    ATHE 2015: Religion and Theatre CFPCALL FOR PAPERS:Religion and Theatre Focus GroupAssociation for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference30 July to 02 August 2015, Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montréal, Québec, Canada “Je Me Souviens / I Remember”The Religion and Theatre Focus Group invites panels that address any issues arising from the conference theme and location. In addition to the traditional format of paper panels, we also welcome proposals in the form of roundtables, collaborations, staged readings, talkbacks, and more.There is much that can be said for the relationship between religion and memory: how ritual preserves/creates cultural memory, how religion as a category is treated in or has shaped theatre historiography, how the performance of spirituality impacts paradigms of temporality. In Montréal in 2015, we are excited to explore the rich connections between the conference theme and the particularities of Religion and Theatre. In addition to the issue of remembering, we invite you to consider other implications of the theme. For example, the conference title is bilingual and the English translation has a contested, politically-charge history in Canada. What is the relationship between religion and similar bilingual conflicts? How does a performance of spirituality relate to processes of translation? How do these tensions themselves relate to memory, sacred or secular?Remember that panels are not just an opportunity to showcase the work of people already active in the field, but also to bring in fresh ideas and new faces. We encourage you to distribute your CFPs widely and to think creatively about how to engage in new conversations in your sessions.  Submission Deadlines:Complete Sessions (recommended):            Submit online directly to ATHE (http://www.athe.org/?2015SessProp_1) by 1 NovemberIndividual paper proposals or session ideas:Submit to Allan Davis (andavis8@umd.edu) by 15 October and he will work with you create a complete session.Multidisciplinary Sessions:Multidisciplinary (MD) panels must be sponsored by at least three different focus groups.All MD session organizers must contact the conference planners of all three sponsoring groups before submitting their session directly to ATHE by 01 November.Starting the conversation:Come to the Religion and Theatre Focus Group webpage at the ATHE Website (http://athe.site-ym.com/members/group.aspx?id=130356) to find colleagues with shared interests, participate in the discussion board, coordinate efforts to propose a panel, and learn about recent publications pertaining to our field of study. Get Started!Now is the time to begin your own conversations, brainstorming, and calls for participants on the Religion and Theatre page at the ATHE website. If you have any questions, confusion, or just need general advice about navigating the proposal process, feel free to email conference planner Allan Davis (andavis8@umd.edu). We are looking forward to an exciting and thought-provoking conference in Montréal and hope to see you there. NOTE: I am also attaching a word document version of the CFP if you care to distribute it to your colleagues. 
by A. Davis, University of Maryland, College Park
Monday, October 13, 2014
ATHE 2015: Religion and Theatre CFP 0 A. Davis, University of Maryland, College Park CALL FOR PAPERS:Religion and Theatre Focus Group Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Conference 30 July to 02 August 2015, Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montréal, Québec, Canada   “Je Me Souviens / I Remember” The Religion and Theatre Focus Group invites panels that address any issues arising from the conference theme and location. In addition to the traditional format of paper panels, we also welcome proposals in the form of roundtables, collaborations, staged readings, talkbacks, and more. There is much that can be said for the relationship between religion and memory: how ritual preserves/creates cultural memory, how religion as a category is treated in or has shaped theatre historiography, how the performance of spirituality impacts paradigms of temporality. In Montréal in 2015, we are excited to explore the rich connections between the conference theme and the particularities of Religion and Theatre. In addition to the issue of remembering, we invite you to consider other implications of the theme. For example, the conference title is bilingual and the English translation has a contested, politically-charge history in Canada. What is the relationship between religion and similar bilingual conflicts? How does a performance of spirituality relate to processes of translation? How do these tensions themselves relate to memory, sacred or secular? Remember that panels are not just an opportunity to showcase the work of people already active in the field, but also to bring in fresh ideas and new faces. We encourage you to distribute your CFPs widely and to think creatively about how to engage in new conversations in your sessions.    Submission Deadlines: Complete Sessions (recommended):             Submit online directly to ATHE (http://www.athe.org/?2015SessProp_1) by 1 November Individual paper proposals or session ideas: Submit to Allan Davis (andavis8@umd.edu) by 15 October and he will work with you create a complete session. Multidisciplinary Sessions: Multidisciplinary (MD) panels must be sponsored by at least three different focus groups. All MD session organizers must contact the conference planners of all three sponsoring groups before submitting their session directly to ATHE by 01 November. Starting the conversation: Come to the Religion and Theatre Focus Group webpage at the ATHE Website (http://athe.site-ym.com/members/group.aspx?id=130356) to find colleagues with shared interests, participate in the discussion board, coordinate efforts to propose a panel, and learn about recent publications pertaining to our field of study.   Get Started! Now is the time to begin your own conversations, brainstorming, and calls for participants on the Religion and Theatre page at the ATHE website. If you have any questions, confusion, or just need general advice about navigating the proposal process, feel free to email conference planner Allan Davis (andavis8@umd.edu). We are looking forward to an exciting and thought-provoking conference in Montréal and hope to see you there. NOTE: I am also attaching a word document version of the CFP if you care to distribute it to your colleagues. 
by A. Davis, University of Maryland, College Park
Monday, September 15, 2014
CFP: Growing up Queer in a Catholic World 0 M. Jones Call for Papers for ATHE 2015Posted ByFrank Miller, Sunday, October 05, 2014Edit PostDelete PostGROWING UP QUEER IN A CATHOLIC WORLDA Multidisciplinary Panel for the LGBTQ and Religion and Theatre Focus GroupsAssociation for Theatre in Higher EducationConference 2015Call for Papers The proposed panel seeks to explore the intersection of queerness and Catholicism in theatrical performance by bringing together scholars with interests in LGBTQ studies and religion in theatre to present 15-20 minutes papers on the work of theatre artists from Catholic communities. With our presence in Montreal, a natural choice would be LGBTQ French-Canadian playwrights and performance practitioners, but the panel could include presentations on people from a variety of ethnic, national and cultural backgrounds that have been strongly influenced by the Catholic Church. That influence can be revealed directly, through the artist's depiction of Catholicism in her/his work, or indirectly as an influence on the artist's approach to theatre, worldview, etc. As an example, I will be writing about the failure of knowledge in Normand Chaurette's plays, primarilyProvincetown Playhouse, July 1919andFragments of a Farewell Letter Read by Geologists, as both a reflection of faith and a reaction against church dogma. If you'd like to participate in this panel, please contact me atfrnklin2001@att.netwith your name, affiliation, proposed title (which can be changed later), email address and phone number so I may put in the proposal in a timely manner. I would like to receive proposals by October 20 at the latest.
by M. Jones
Saturday, October 18, 2014
CFP ATHE 2015: Faith & Reason 0 M. Hayford, University of Dayton Theatre, Dance, and Performance Technology Program Hi There Religion and Theatre folks,I am hoping to put together a panel on the topic of "Faith & Reason", however that may be applicable to your research and/or creative scholarship.  My contribution will be a paper with staged reading excerpts of an original play I am devising this year at the University of Dayton, titled (ir)reconcilable: faith & reason.  (ir)reconcilable will be scripted from interview narratives gathered by way of story circle events that bring together people of diverse faith backgrounds and scholarly disciplines to engage the question of how well our community is creating dialogical space for a multitude of faith traditions to be valued on our Marianist Catholic campus.  I am particularly interested in assessing the climate for the influx of Muslim students that have joined the community in recent years and reflect on "I remember" as it appears in the interview narratives we collect about remembering "home," and first impressions of the United States for international students.  "Reason" will be explored in the performance as I recount the play's attempts to intellectualize spiritual experience, to translate the ineffable into language.   If you have a paper or staged reading to complement this one, please email me at: mhayford1@udayton.edu with your ideas asap (I'm jumping in here a bit late in the game!).  Thank you!Michelle HayfordDirector, Theatre ProgramAssociate Professor of TheatreUniversity of Dayton
by M. Hayford, University of Dayton Theatre, Dance, and Performance Technology Program
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Ecumenica Journal Seeks Treasurer 0 M. Jones Ecumenica Journal, a twice-annual scholarly publication working at the intersections of religion/spirituality and peformance, will be seeking a new treasurer to join the organization in January of 2015.  Officer term commitment is 2 years, with a possibility of one renewal. This is an excellent way to learn more about scholarly publishing from an administrative perspective. The commitment of time varies depending on the time of year: most weeks, the workload is 1-2 hours at most; during subscription and tax seasons the workload is closer to 5 hours per week.    Appropriate candidates will have the MA/MFA/ or PhD in hand or nearing completion of their degree. We will consider candidates currently employed in the academy, or independent scholars with a connection to our field.    Interested individuals should contact editor Carolyn Roark (cdr-at-ecumenicajournal.org) for more information.
by M. Jones
Friday, October 10, 2014
CFP: Coreopsis, Journal of Myth and Theatre 0 C. Chambers, Sogang University CFP: Earth Tales: The Challenge Ahead. Publication date: January 2015 Abstract Deadline: Sept 1/Paper Deadline Nov. 8 2014 Deadline for final version: December 15, 2014 A “conversation” has developed in many parts of the world concerning Global Climate Change. As artists and scholars it is our job to observe the world around in detail. What is the role of artists (visual, theatre, music, literary, ritual performance) in the coming century as the effects of Global Climate Change increase? The environmental stresses caused by global climate change have become an important part of that ongoing “conversation”. A special issue addressing the ways that artists and performers are approaching the challenges ahead. Topics to include, but are not limited to: * Ideas can be communicated through song sometimes better than any other medium. How does this process aid (or, not) the dissemination of information regarding climate? * Stories and personal myth – oral history, folk lore studies – the art of “story-catching” * Theatre – how are troupes, playwrights, and other theatrical concerns addressing climate change in their works…? * Art in spiritual practice – ritual theatre artists may be in a special place to create understanding concerning the challenges ahead, how and why should climate change be addressed in this context …? Paper Queries and Submissions should be fully prepared and sent to “submissions” coreopsisjournalofmyththeatre@gmail.com as an msword.doc attachment. Please review the “submission guidelines” before submitting.
by C. Chambers, Sogang University
Wednesday, September 10, 2014

© 2018 Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE). All rights reserved.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 800.918.9216 or 651.288.3430 | Fax: 651.290.2266